[mythtv-users] Fixing overscan

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 10 16:34:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 11:22 -0500, Jim Morton wrote:

> If you are using an HDMI input on the TV you may want to try switching
> to a VGA or DVI input if it has one. I know on my TV (Samsung) that made
> a big difference and it now displays with little or no overscan. When
> using the HDMI input it was missing a lot of borders.

Of course, this is the wrong (although it might be the only) solution.
Instead of trying to defeat overscan, which is a natural part of the TV
equation, the right solution is that the menus and such should allow for
and/or be configurable for overscan.

There has been quite a detailed discussion about this on this list in
the last month or two.

b.