[mythtv-users] mythbuntu stops working for no reason

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 10 20:56:53 UTC 2009

On Thursday 10 December 2009 12:58:06 pm Dan Hayes wrote:
> the entire machine does lock up, but sometimes i'm able to hit escape and
> get it to go back to the menu.  other times i just pull the plug.  and
>  after the first time it stops working, it never starts again.  not even
>  after a reboot.

You want to determine if it's the machine itself that's locking up, or
something having to do with Myth and all of its supporting stuff.

Mysterious lockups are best troubleshot by running a memory checker for a
long time (24-48 hours at least), and running "normal" (ie: non-Myth)
software, to see if it locks up. This sort of problem is often caused by a bad
or under-powered PSU, dirty connections, bad cards etc.

Once you determine that the hardware itself is rock stable, you need to
narrow down what might be locking it up, if logs are no help, this can be a
long process.

For example, playing video in a non-Myth application, to see if something
with the video hardware/drivers is causing the problem. Look for interrupt
conflicts, hardware driver problems etc.

Of course it goes without saying that everything should be running in
standard modes, no overclocking or memory pushing etc. I don't think
you're doing that, but wanted to mention it just in case.