[mythtv-users] cannot scan or tune one channel that used to work

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Thu Dec 10 22:09:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 10 December 2009 12:46:23 pm Tod Pike wrote:
> > I use mythbuntu 0.21+fixes. Recently I noticed that program guide data
> > station WQED in Pittsburgh was missing. Upon further investigation, I
> > found that I couldn't tune the three HD WQED channels, and an auto-scan
> > didn't find them either. I have tried manually creating them using the
> > known channel information, but still no luck.
> >
> > Any ideas on what to try next? These channels worked fairly recently,
> > and I can pick them up on my OTA TV (I only get OTA channels - don't
> > have cable or anything). The channel information I've manually set up
> > is:
> >
> > channum: 13_1
> > callsign: WQED-HD
> > Name: WQED-HD
> > freqid: 13
> >
> > the rest are all defaults.
>
> Since it worked once, I can't see why it wouldn't work now, but:
>
> WQED is on a VHF channel, and some software scans only UHF for OTA,
> unless you tell them specifically to scan VHF channels. Not sure if Myth
> behaves that way (I have only one OTA channel and I don't care to watch it,
> so I use my HDHR for QAM off the CATV system).

Having done an ATSC scan at a friend's house a couple of weeks ago, Myth
scans ATSC channels starting with channel 2 by default.

I also had to re-scan recently as one of my ATSC channels switched from VHF
channel 7 to UHF channel 42 - and since I don't watch commercials, I didn't
know that it had moved until I had a handful of "WHDH has moved to channel
42 - please re-scan your converter box".

J-e-f-f-A