[mythtv-users] Cutting HD-PVR recordings

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Fri Dec 11 14:31:48 UTC 2009

For HDPVR recordings I use Avidemux to manually perform lossless edits.
The restriction is that I must force my STB to only output at 720p. You
must save the edited file in an avi container and then use ffmpeg to
copy file avi into a mkv and add a seek table. The audio sync and
general quality has been excellant. On the rare occassion that there is
an audio seek issue, I use mkvmerge_gui to resync the audio.

To make this experience easier I created a Nautilus script that combines
starting Avidemux and creating the mkv file with ffmpeg after you exit
Avidemux.

I also use a compiled version of Avidemux as my distro's package seems
to lack some options (Ubuntu 9.10).

One other thing I should mention is that before editing I have a userjob
to rename the recording and copy it to a physically separate hard drive.
Editing and recording at the same time cause disk thrashing which will
cause issues if you are recording at the same time. You can use rsync
with bandwidth option (--bwlimit) in the userjob to control the disk
thrashing during the copy and rename process.

Although this article is out of date the section on Avidemux and the
HDPVR is correct.
http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_the_hauppauge_hd-pvr/4/