[mythtv-users] Arduino based dish IR blaster

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Dec 11 16:49:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:36 AM, David Herman <dherman516 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> hmm, assuming I don't have soldering skills, it's really not that much
>> cheaper. $26 for a pre-assembled USB version vs $30 for a full on USB
>> arduino.  I already had an arduino, I used it.  That's not really the
>> point of the thread...
>>
>> Alex
>
> I think the ultimate answer would be a Ethernet bundled Micro controller.
> Get rid of the USB/Driver tether, just rely on straight TCP requests for the
> interface. If anyone knows of a cheap dev board platform, it would be a cool
> side project for the Myth community

Except that now you need a power plug or PoE. USB has data and power
and it's quite simple to use if you're willing to stick to standard
drivers that all systems are likely to have, like serial port
emulation. I've toyed with a PIC based USB IR transceiver, it's an
interesting project. I'd like to come back to it at some point, but I
find the LIRC integration irritating. If someone that knows LIRC wants
to work with me on it, I'd be willing to write the microcontroller
code.