[mythtv-users] Arduino based dish IR blaster

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 17:04:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:
> Except that now you need a power plug or PoE. USB has data and power
> and it's quite simple to use if you're willing to stick to standard
> drivers that all systems are likely to have, like serial port
> emulation.

Yep, exactly.  Plus given what I've seen with serial data affecting IR
timing, I'd be afraid you'd need quite a bit of separation between
blaster and network, such that it'd get pretty expensive.

> I've toyed with a PIC based USB IR transceiver, it's an
> interesting project. I'd like to come back to it at some point, but I
> find the LIRC integration irritating. If someone that knows LIRC wants
> to work with me on it, I'd be willing to write the microcontroller
> code.

This is why I've left the code as just a blaster with C code to
control it, much like the dct-channel program for controlling some
Motorola STBs via serial.  Irritating is a good word for LIRC.

Alex