[mythtv-users] 720p HD content from WPVI in Philly periodic a/v sync issues

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Fri Dec 11 21:04:26 UTC 2009

Andrew Gallatin [gallatin at cs.duke.edu] wrote:
> Taylor Ralph [tralph11 at yahoo.com] wrote:

I have a very high-level understanding of what's going on here, so I
apologize if my assumptions are incorrect, but here is my theory: The
broadcaster is using the mpeg2 video repeat flags to save bandwidth.
So he's broadcasting, on average, about 54fps and marking about 10% of
them repeatable, which brings the frame rate up to 60fps.  But
mythtv's mpeg2 decoder is not counting these repeats, and the a/v sync
code thinks the frame rate is all messed up.  From what I can tell,
your patch adds a delay based on the repeat flags. Rather than adding
delays, wouldn't it be simpler to use the actual decoded frame count
(or rate, or whatever the code uses)? Also, is the video portion of
MythTV honoring the repeat flag?  Does it matter than I'm using VDPAU?

Again, sorry if I'm being dumb, and thanks for the interest!!

Drew