[mythtv-users] Tweak lineup after change

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 12 16:49:49 UTC 2009

On 12/12/2009 01:43 AM, David Rees wrote:
> So Time Warner San Diego tweaks their channel lineup a bit.  Nothing
> too significant, but schedulesdirect hasn't picked them up yet
> (already reported).
>
> In the mean time, should I be able to just go and tweak the channel
> numbers through mythtweb?  Or will the next mythfilldatabase just
> overwrite those changes?
>
> Comedy Central changed channels - can't miss The Daily Show!

The xmltvid maps what data from the listings provider is associated with
each channel.

The freqid maps which analog channel is tuned when recording from the
channel.

The channel number is basically meaningless, display-only information
(it's only real purpose is allowing you to change directly to a specific
channel in LiveTV).

The callsign specifies which channels air ("substantially"--read
"completely") identical content.

If you're recording from an analog capture device, you can simply change
the freqid on the channels.

If you're recording from a digital capture device, you can't change how
the channel is tuned (at least not permanently), so you'll need to
change which data is associated with each channel (using xmltvid) and
then mythfilldatabase --refresh-all .

Changing the channel number and/or callsign will not help.

Details of each approach are left as an exercise to the reader (though
the information above should allow you to figure out exactly what to do).

Mike