[mythtv-users] Using the Python bindings

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Dec 12 21:06:32 UTC 2009

Marius Schrecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I want to start work on the channel-changing over internet script that I mentioned a while back.
>
>  It looks as if the Python bindings will be the way to go to get the necessary variables, but I know nothing about python, and I can't find any documentation about actually using the bindings. Can anyone point me to a quick reference to help me learn just what I need to know?  I have to get to something like MythTV.Something.Frontend. sendQuery(liveTV CHANID) and extract the value for a specific live channel in the format shownameTimeFrom - TimeTo
> Also I'm having trouble using the query command over the Telnet socket:

Documentation on the python bindings is available directly within them
in the standard python manner ( help(object) ) as well as on the wiki.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Python_Bindings.  The Frontend object is
fairly naive, and doesn't do much more than open up a connection to the
remote frontend.  'get' commands list what options are available, and
'send' commands send them to the frontend.  There is very minimal
processing going on besides that.