[mythtv-users] Internal player has problems in myth

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 21:33:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:

>>> 1 and 2 make it sound as if you're trying to play DVDs (.iso images or
>>> VIDEO_TS folders), as opposed to, say, .avi or .mkv files.  I've never had
>>> good results playing DVDs with mplayer.  I always use Internal for DVDs.
>>>  Internal player also has much higher WAF than mplayer.
>>>

>> OK, I am stupid.  The mplayer command is the "default" player but
>> "mythdvd.DVDPlayerCommand" is set to "Internal" so I guess I am not
>> using mplayer.  So, I just changed the subject (causing the thread to
>> break sorry).
>>
>> You are correct that I am playing .iso images.
>>
>> Same problems, but with the internal player.
>>
>> Allen
>>

> Actually, playing .iso files uses whatever you have configured under Media
> Settings->Videos Settings->File Types.  Go to "iso" and see what it is
> configured to use.  If set to "use default player", then it will use the
> default video player command, NOT the DVD player command.  So, in this case,
> if "iso" was set to "use default player", it would in fact be using mplayer,
> not Internal.
>
> Also, what version of MythTV?  The internal player in 0.22 works much better
> for DVDs than the one in 0.21.  There were many DVDs that the menu wouldn't
> work, or would cause the player to freeze, in 0.21, that now work fine in
> 0.22.
>
> Hope this helps!
> -- Kevin
>
> ____

Thanks for the reply.  It is set to internal. I am using 0.21.  I
guess that is the problem.  I am afraid to upgrade because it seems
like there are significant differences and some of them don't seem
like they are helpful for my use.  Plus, I have been of the opinion if
it isn't broke, don't fix it but perhaps what you are saying is that
it is broke.  Every significant upgrade I have done has crashed the
system so that is also an issue.  What to do?  I have an old CRT TV
that we use most of the time. For movies we use a 10 ft screen and a
projector but my understanding is that 0.22 has smaller fonts that are
difficult to see with an old TV.  That in and of itself is a killer.
Not sure what to do.

Allen