[mythtv-users] Internal player has problems in myth

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Sat Dec 12 21:51:55 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:
>
>> Allen Edwards wrote:

>>> OK, I am stupid.  The mplayer command is the "default" player but
>>> "mythdvd.DVDPlayerCommand" is set to "Internal" so I guess I am not
>>> using mplayer.  So, I just changed the subject (causing the thread to
>>> break sorry).
>>>
>>> You are correct that I am playing .iso images.
>>>
>>> Same problems, but with the internal player.
>>>
>>> Allen
>>>

>> Actually, playing .iso files uses whatever you have configured under Media
>> Settings->Videos Settings->File Types.  Go to "iso" and see what it is
>> configured to use.  If set to "use default player", then it will use the
>> default video player command, NOT the DVD player command.  So, in this case,
>> if "iso" was set to "use default player", it would in fact be using mplayer,
>> not Internal.
>>
>> Also, what version of MythTV?  The internal player in 0.22 works much better
>> for DVDs than the one in 0.21.  There were many DVDs that the menu wouldn't
>> work, or would cause the player to freeze, in 0.21, that now work fine in
>> 0.22.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>> -- Kevin
>>
>> ____
>>

> Thanks for the reply.  It is set to internal. I am using 0.21.  I
> guess that is the problem.  I am afraid to upgrade because it seems
> like there are significant differences and some of them don't seem
> like they are helpful for my use.  Plus, I have been of the opinion if
> it isn't broke, don't fix it but perhaps what you are saying is that
> it is broke.  Every significant upgrade I have done has crashed the
> system so that is also an issue.  What to do?  I have an old CRT TV
> that we use most of the time. For movies we use a 10 ft screen and a
> projector but my understanding is that 0.22 has smaller fonts that are
> difficult to see with an old TV.  That in and of itself is a killer.
> Not sure what to do.
>
> Allen

It IS a fairly significant change.  I understand why you wouldn't want
to touch a working production system.

Have you tried other media players for .iso's?  How about xine?  I've
heard it's a good DVD player, but I haven't tried it myself.

As for fonts, I found they are bigger in .22, not smaller.  I had to
tweak the xml files for my favorite theme to make the fonts smaller.
Also, the themes are different in .22 than in .21.  For example, there
is a theme called MythCenter in both .21 and .22, but the one in .22
isn't like the one in .21 at all.