[mythtv-users] Looking to build first mythtv box

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 05:46:32 UTC 2009

> Others have recommended boards that support VDPAU. Although having the option
> is good, I don't think that VDPAU is necessary with CPUs of this class. As I
> said, I can play back HD content, even when my system is doing other work,
> with no problem. My board has an integrated Intel video chipset, so I'm not
> using VDPAU, or even XvMC. I figure that I can always add a separate
> VDPAU-capable video card if the need arises. At the moment, this doesn't seem
> likely. In the meantime, I'm enjoying not having to deal with proprietary
> drivers, which always seem to cause more hair-pulling than do the standard
> Xorg drivers.

I would point out that people choose to go with VDPAU for image
quality also, not just for the hardware acceleration. It depends on
your TV and setup. But many people including myself have seen dramatic
improvement when switching to VDPAU. While at a minimum others report
that VDPAU matches the quality of the deinterlacers on some of the
high end sets from Sony, etc.