[mythtv-users] Installing mythbuntu with myth 22 using latest nvidia drivers

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 14:52:43 UTC 2009

> I found that if you don't follow his instructions exactly the first
> time it will cause issues. What I did (and not sure this was the best
> thing to do, as "sudo apt-get autoremove" removed some packages that
> my XBMC required, but what i did was:
>
> install the avenard repo (follow his instructions)
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*
> sudo apt-get install nvidia-195* libvdpau1
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> My drivers are installed, VDPAU is working flawlessly.

You should also point out that you will need to use mythtv from the
avenard repository. He compiles the nvidia drivers and mythtv a little
differently. He follows the recommendation of nvidia, which allows you
to change drivers without reinstalling mythtv. In the standard
mythbuntu repository mythtv is compiled against the specific driver so
when you change driver versions you have to reinstall mythtv. I use
avenard repository and really appreciate being able to try out new
drivers without having to reinstall mythtv.