[mythtv-users] The fonts in mythtvfrontend ...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Dec 13 18:45:05 UTC 2009

On 12/13/2009 09:31 AM, Steven Sartorius wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2009, at 1:01 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 12/12/2009 07:18 PM, lee wrote:
>>
>>> ... are huge. I've tried to set smaller fonts with the setup option in
>>> mythtvfrontend, but to no avail. How do I get them down to a
>>> reasonable size?
>>>
>> Change themes.  My guess is you're using a theme designed for a 16:9 display but you have a 4:3 display.
>>
>> Also, make sure you have the fonts the theme uses installed on your system.
>>
> Take a look here if you're using an Nvidia card/chip:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards

Better to look
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
as it gives more background--basically saying, "Unless you've broken
your X configuration, the font sizes are completely determined by the
theme."  A broken X configuration includes specifying a DisplaySize or
DPI that causes X to compute a physical display aspect ratio that's
different from your physical display's aspect ratio.

It's still appropriate to verify that your aspect ratio is correct (and
you can do that from checking your DisplaySize and/or DPI values--or
just using xdpyinfo ).

Mike