[mythtv-users] canceled recording (Recorder Failed) mystery

Bob Gamble kiksadiweb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 19:41:26 UTC 2009

I have been troubleshooting this for a couple months.

Setup:

Ubuntu 8.04 with a master/slave backend mythtv server.  These also act as
frontends.

Two hauppauge pvr350s.

Serial->USB converters similar to this setup...
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB#The_DirecTV_H21_Satellite_STB

I use NTSC and I don't scan for channels during setup as I live in Alaska.

I use a shared NFS share that resides on the master backend.

This setup has worked flawlessly in the past, save for a problem with my
Directv receivers which have since been updated to H21 models.  I am using a
the latest directv.pl script from http://www.pdp8.net/directv/directv.shtml.

I have recorded many gigabytes worth of shows.  My problem is I get the
error "canceled recording (Recorder Failed)" from my backend log
intermittently. I have tried deleting all tuner cards and deleting video
sources several times, being very careful to start from a clean
configuration. I've looked at several posts where this solved the similar
problems. When doing this, I am careful to not go to the channel editor
until I mythfilldatabase has been run at least once.

Yet I still get failed recordings. There is no consistent failure (i.e. a
program will fail one time, then succeed another). I have been using manage
recordings to get rid of the failures regularly. One thing I haven't tried
is uninstalling all the mythtv software and reinstalling.

I wonder if there might be a database setting causing this. I would be
bummed to have to wipe out the database and start cleanly, but that may be
what I need to do. Before wiping out and maybe upgrading to the latest
mythbuntu I wanted to see if anyone had other ideas. I have been using
mythtv for a couple years and have been happy with its stability until
recently. Thank you to the developers and to anyone that might help solve
this issue.