[mythtv-users] clipped video from PBS

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Sun Dec 13 22:53:44 UTC 2009

On December 13, 2009 18:38:00 Tony Lill wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> writes:
> > On Thursday 10 December 2009, Endaf Jones <jonese at zener.com> wrote:
> >> Shaw Calgary does this.
> >>
> >> I suspect it's Shaw that's improperly down-converting the HD signal to
> >> analog.
> >>
> >> I've been meaning to complain, but haven't.
> >
> > Ah that's what I'm seeing then, thanks. I think I will complain right
> > now!
>
> I'm seeing the same thing on Rogers, so I suspect that means the issue
> is at the source.
>
> THe other fun thing is when the letterbox 4:3 stuff on a 16:9 feed,
> and then letterbox it again to go to my 4:3 TV!

I see some pretty crazy things on the PBS Boston feed here on Eastlink in Nova
Scotia. This is an SD feed.  Sometime there is a big black border around the
whole screen with nothing but the bug in the corner.  The feed is provided to
Eastlink by Shaw Direct (formerly Cancom) on C band, if that matters.

I agree it is likely a source or uplink problem.

Mark