[mythtv-users] HVR-1600 analog section not showing up as MPEG-2 encoder

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Dec 14 08:25:52 UTC 2009

In myth setup, my HVR-1600 tuner cards don't show up when I choose Card
Type IVTV MPEG-2 encoder.

I'm trying to follow directions in
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600
to setup these cards.

According to that page, they should show up.

What's up?  Is the wiki page wrong?  Am I doing something wrong?

Context:
- a newly assembled computer
- two Hauppauge HVR-1600 cards
- one Adaptec VideOH! AVC 2410 card (a lot like a PVR-150)
- Ubuntu 9.10 + MythUbuntu packages, all up to date
- v4l package built to fix stock 9.10's cx18 driver

When I add tuner cards in mythsetup, I try to follow this advice from the
HVR-1600 wiki page:

    * Configure the analog half of the card like a supported MPEG-2
	Encoder PVR-150 card. Treating the analog half of the card as an ivtv
	based card in MythTV works as the cx18 driver is heavily based on
	(i.e. cut and pasted from) the ivtv driver.

   1. Under Card type, choose IVTV MPEG-2 encoder (or MPEG-2 encoder
	card (PVR-x50, PVR-500)). Do not select Analog V4L capture
   2. Choose the correct video device (usually /dev/video0 unless
	there is more than one card). Note: if the video device is not listed
	and a could not open to probe its inputs message appears, add
	/dev/video0 manually
   3. Probed info should populate with Hauppauge HVR-1600 [cx18]
   4. To use NTSC RF from an antenna or cable TV provider, choose
	'Tuner 1' under Default input
   5. Select Finish.

When I select Card Type "IVTV MPEG-2 encoder", no matter what I choose
for the Video device, the only thing that shows up in the Probed
info is the Adaptec card.

If however I select Card Type "Analog V4L capture card" I can adjust
the Video device to show any of the three cards in the Probed info.

I tried to use the Analog V4L capture card choice when adding a card
and then finishing the setup (I only have signals going to the tuner
input of the two HVR-1600 cards).  All was happy, but recording's were
blank and I could not watch live TV from the Myth frontend.

These cards worked in a different Myth box.  Unfortunately that box is
disassembled so I cannot go back to figure out what is different.  It
was running Ubuntu 9.04, not 9.10.

Nothing in dmesg looks suspicious to me.

These fine devices exist (video1 is the Adaptec card):
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81,  0 2009-12-13 20:24 /dev/video0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81,  5 2009-12-13 20:24 /dev/video1
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81,  9 2009-12-13 20:24 /dev/video2
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81,  3 2009-12-13 20:24 /dev/video24