[mythtv-users] Question about testing a patch

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 11:07:01 UTC 2009

2009/12/11 Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>

> [snip]
>
> 1) When I upgraded to Mythbuntu 9.10 and 0.22, should the required
> development tools already be installed for me?
>
> No idea, not used Mythbuntu, but of not they're not hard to install, I
think you want 'build-essentials', then you'll need the '-dev' packages for
any dependencies you need.

Try typing gcc and see what you get?

You should find that configure will error if you've not got the correct
things installed, however I have found it misses one dependency (or used
to), so you may find that it configures but fails to compile, it's just a
case of working out which library it's not finding and installing the
package for that though.

> 2) My system is the 64 bit version.  Does the Wiki have the steps
> documented on how to compile from source?  The ./configure step, etc.?
>  Should I see what my existing mythbackend and mythfrontend were compiled
> with using --version so I can setup the configure script properly?

That would be a good starting point, yes. The basic steps are just like any
unix software, './configure && make && sudo make install'

It's worth using the configure settings your current build is using as a
guide though.

However, if you do this you should be aware of any distro specific prefixes
and whatnot.

It might be worth installing your own version into a separate directory, so
you can be sure you're not going to overwrite stuff that's already working,
you can do this with --prefix=/path/to/some/other/folder

> 3) Since I don't want to reinstall everything, can I check out the same
> version from SVN that's on my system?  Then, can I stop mythbackend, rename
> the executable, and put the new one in its place?  The code is in the
> backend only from what I can tell.  Is this sufficient?

Yes, this would be a good idea. If you've got the same version, you should
be able to stop your current backend, and run your new backend (as the same
user) without any problems.

Be aware of library dependencies though, if you've compiled from source
simply renaming your new backend executable may still not be using the
shared libs you expect. (use ldd <filename> to check.)Harry

[snip stuff I don't know about]

Cheers

Ian