[mythtv-users] Question about testing a patch

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 11:21:46 UTC 2009

2009/12/14 Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com>:

>> 3) Since I don't want to reinstall everything, can I check out the same
>> version from SVN that's on my system?  Then, can I stop mythbackend, rename
>> the executable, and put the new one in its place?  The code is in the
>> backend only from what I can tell.  Is this sufficient?
>
> Yes, this would be a good idea. If you've got the same version, you should
> be able to stop your current backend, and run your new backend (as the same
> user) without any problems.

Be aware that this method (using the same Unix account and not
changing DB details) _could_ upgrade your stable database to a
development-only schema version if at some point you check out source
code from trunk that alters your database structure.

Checking out source code from the same SVN branch and having the same
SVN revision as your package-based MythTV should stop this from
happening, but I would nonetheless take a backup of the database
before you do anything that could jeopardise your stable system.
Initially, you might want to think about setting up a second database,
and use a separate system account that is configured to only connect
to the development database when you're testing.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott