[mythtv-users] The fonts in mythtvfrontend ...

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Dec 14 13:36:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 14:30 +0100, lee wrote:

> Ok, but when display is 82dpi, should I still set it to 100? Isn't it
> better to use the correct values (if those given by the display are
> correct)?

In general, you should not lie to your software about how things are.
When you do, the software will do things unlike you expect.

DPI = Dots Per Inch.  So get a measuring tape out and measure the width
of your physical screen and then take the number of pixels in the
horizontal measure of your resolutions and divide that the number of
inches in physical screen width.  That's your DPI and that's what it
should be set to.

Maybe the video card/screen get that right.  Maybe they don't.
Certainly in the case of analog TV out, I couldn't imagine how it could
possibly be correct as the video hardware has no idea of the physical
size of your TV.  For a digital screen, with EDID, there is no reason it
should be wrong, but it would not be the first time that logic lost out.

b.