[mythtv-users] Windows Media Center w/ Cable Card used as MythTV Tuner

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Dec 14 16:51:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:34:46AM -0500, Josh White wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > But if you already had a Windows Media Center PC...
> >
> > ...then you have some hardware which can be reinstalled with MythTV.
> >
> > I kid, of course, but this list has prohibitions of discussions of
> > illegal activities, and working around the Wndows Media Center DRM
> > would probably count as such in most jurisdictions.
> >
> > The best you could hope for legally is to do component video out of
> > the WMCPC into an HDPVR.  In other words, the WMCPC would function
> > like a STB, not an encoder.
> >
> > Eric
> >

> My point was that if you already had the machine, it's not cheaper to get a
> HDPVR & rent a set top box.

    Given the dearth of such boxes, that is a pointless constraint.

    OTOH, I can go to Frys right now and pick myself up an HD-PVR and grab the
cheapest box they've got and build an HD Recorder from scratch. There will be
no restrictions on what machine I can attach the HD-PVR to. There will be no
restrictions on what I can do with the recordings.

    Plus the cable card will require it's own rental fee.

    ...and that's all assuming that the random individual is even using a cable
service that uses cable cards or any replacement technology.

    Is Frys or Microcenter selling PCs with cable cards now?