[mythtv-users] How to play audio CDs?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Mon Dec 14 17:55:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 09:48 -0800, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> What's a good way to play audio CDs under myth without having to first
> rip the CD?  Is there any way to use the Internal player, or do I need
> to call out to an external application?

Playing audio CDs (or any music) under Myth is a pain.  MythMusic needs
a serious user interface redesign.

Ideally, MythMusic should have a configuration screen for configuring
how to play audio CDs, with options that you can prioritize like:

*) Play using CDDA (doesn't work with some newer SATA CD drives)
*) Play by ripping, discarding ripped tracks
*) Play by ripping, saving ripped tracks
*) Play from previously-ripped tracks

And ripping of audio CDs should have a good selection of options.

I would like to see it keep the freedb ID as a comment, so that when it
scans your library, it can import that information so as to use
previously-ripped versions when someone inserts a CD that you've already
ripped.