[mythtv-users] How to play audio CDs?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 14 19:14:53 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009 12:04:31 pm Preston Crow wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 10:49 -0800, Ron Garrison wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > What's a good way to play audio CDs under myth without having to
first
> > > rip the CD?  Is there any way to use the Internal player, or do I need
> > > to call out to an external application?
> >
> > I'm not in front of my Myth box right now, but it seems to me that you
> > go into mythmusic then hit menu.  If I recall correctly, the option to
> > play from the CD should be there.  If I don't recall correctly then
> > sorry for the bum advice (but I do know it can be done).
>
> Yes, it does work, but only if your CD drive supports it, which
> apparently excludes a lot of newer SATA drives, as I understand it.

I don't understand how an optical drive could *not* support playing a CD.
Perhaps you would have to connect the analog audio output of the drive to
an input to your sound system? Of course this would give only analog
quality.

Playing an audio CD would seem to me to be pretty basic to a CD drive,
maybe this is some sort of scheme to try to prevent ripping or copying?

AFAIK ripping audio CDs is legal, as long as you don't distribute or sell the
results.

How would I tell when buying a drive if this was going to be a problem or
not?