[mythtv-users] How to play audio CDs?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 14 19:29:34 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009 12:21:36 pm Preston Crow wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 12:18 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Monday 14 December 2009 12:10:30 pm Isaac Richards wrote:
> > > It always plays by ripping - that's why the visualizers work with CDs.
> >
> > That certainly makes sense, and might explain newer drives having
> > problems: they are trying to prevent ripping?
> >
> > So my question stands: what do I look for in drive specs?
>
> All drives support ripping.  Faster drives will rip more quickly, but
> are typically louder.  If you can find good specs on the noise of the
> drive, that's probably the critical factor for a Myth system.

I would think all drives would support ripping, I was concerned about the
statement earlier in this thread that some newer SATA drives would not
support it, or perhaps I misunderstood.

I do have a couple of SATA drives that sound like jet engines, but that
machine is in the garage so I don't really care. Those drives were shipped
with pre-built machines and say "Acer" on them, no idea who actually made
them.