[mythtv-users] How to play audio CDs?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 14 19:33:39 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009 12:24:36 pm Preston Crow wrote:

> As Isaac pointed out in another post, I was completely wrong on this.
> Some CD drives have an audio-out cable that you can use to play CDs,
> which isn't there on newer drives, but Myth doesn't use that method, so
> you can ignore much of what I wrote.

OK, I understand what you were saying, some drives today lack the analog
output connector. That would be used for playing as an analog source, but not
for ripping.

Some older drives even had RCA jacks for analog output, haven't seen one of
those in years.

Sounds like cost reduction, not rip prevention, since most applications these
days, even in Windows, use the digital out.