[mythtv-users] how to delete all senders?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 22:31:04 UTC 2009

2009/12/15 lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de>:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 01:31:48PM +0000, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> >
>> > Yeah --- I'll probably have to start from scratch.
>>
>> What problems are you still having?
>
> No noticeable problems atm --- but I don't know if I broke the
> database by removing channels without names manually like I did.
>
>> Deleting the unnamed channels (as you mentioned at the start of the
>> thread) would not affect the integrity of the database.
>
> Are you sure? If it doesn't, it would probably be more efficient to
> work with the database to improve on the channel list than using
> mythtv-setup.

It doesn't affect the integrity of the database. When dealing with a
lot of channel entries and you're comfortable with SQL, it's probably
always be preferable to update the DB directly rather than use
mythtv-setup. You should always take a backup before doing anything,
"just in case", and should remember that using mythtv-setup or MythWeb
are the intended ways for users to update their channel settings.

>> You can set a valid starting channel for the affected input in
>> mythtv-setup on the Input Connections screens for that input.
>
> I'm not sure how to do that ... I did have to set a starting channel
> to get it to work, but apparently they can only be set by giving a
> number. Since there isn't any good overview over the available
> channels and their numbers, I used an arbitrary number and left it at
> that when I found that it works.

After scanning for channels, you should have seen a listbox of
channels when configuring the input. You choose whichever channel you
want LiveTV to start on. Once you have successfully changed channel or
recorded a programme, the starting channel is updated to the last used
channel.

> It would be really useful if I could use a list of favorite channels
> --- I think I have set that up in mythfrontend, but I don't see a way
> to use it. When watching live TV and switching channels, it's
> switching through all available channels.
>
>> Out of interest, is this a DVB-S setup? Here in the UK, a full tuned
>> DVB-S scan can result in a lot of unnamed/garbage channels.
>
> Yes --- I'm in Germany, so we're probably getting pretty much the same
> mess of channels :)

I'm using 28.2E, rather than 19.2E (although I have a spare dish to
start playing with).

>> I usually set their 'visible' and 'useonairguide' flags to off to
>> stop them from being used. The digital scanner also has several
>> options to ignore encrypted channels that could otherwise break
>> recordings/LiveTV if MythTV attempts to use them.
>
> Well, ok, then how do you use regexps to tag those channels and set
> their flags? It would take hours through the GUI but only a few
> seconds with a mysql statement.

When I was configuring my UK Freesat channels some time ago, I
disabled _all_ of the DVB-S channels and then selectively enabled
those channels I wanted to use based on their Service IDs. I used a
SQL script to automate this, as it would be ridiculously slow using
the GUI.

Cheers,
Nick

--