[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Dec 16 16:51:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Building a new backend, and trying to decide whether to go 32 or 64 bit.
> Obviously it's a 64-bit CPU (AMD FX-60).
>
> Only using 2GB of RAM, so that's not a factor.
>
> I know it's been asked before, but reviewing past posts I don't seem to see
> any final conclusion.
>
> Normally I'd go with 64 bit, but I wonder of there are any reasons to go 32
> (Flash players, XBMC Boxee)?
>
> Thoughts?

My general recommendation is that for new installations 64bit is the
way to go.  Pretty much everything should be working pretty well at
this point.

On the other hand, if you've got a 32-bit system running and just
replace the motherboard and CPU with a 64-bit capable processor, it's
not necessarily worth the hassle of reinstalling unless you have some
compelling reason to do so.

Eric