[mythtv-users] remote frontend on a Mac

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 16 16:59:27 UTC 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 11:52 AM, lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how do you set up a remote frontend on a Mac? I tried,

You do it pretty much the same way you do under Linux. It works just fine on both my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro under Mac OS X.

> but:
>

> 1.) it's unusably slow

Not here.

> 2.) apparently, it uses at least part of the settings for a frontend
> on one computer on another one as well

You probably have a hostname collision. Could even be the host itself if it dual-boots Mac OS X and Linux. For such systems, I use an explicit hostname override to keep the OS X and Linux settings for what are the same host from colliding.

> 3.) it produces error messages about failed communication with the
> backend
>
> 4.) it is unknown which access rights to the database the remote
> frontend needs
>
> 5.) the remote frontend tries to update the database and fails
>
> 6.) it's not possible to watch recordings

Setting up these bits is no different than on Linux.

> 7.) the recordings of one user are available to the remote frontend
> and thus to another user

Huh? What's the problem here?

> I expected it would be possible for a user at the remote frontend to
> use his own settings and make his own recordings and watch them at his
> frontend, independent of other users at other frontends (as far as
> hardware limitations of the TV card allow), with an option to share
> recordings between users if they want to. If that isn't possible,
> what's the point?

All recordings are shared within a single MythTV setup (which encompasses all frontends and backends tied to the same master backend). MythTV doesn't have a concept of "users" really.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com