[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Stuart Larson halcyon at obfus.com
Wed Dec 16 17:30:39 UTC 2009

> On Wednesday 16 December 2009 09:51:18 am Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
> wrote:
>> > Building a new backend, and trying to decide whether to go 32 or 64
>> bit.
>> > Obviously it's a 64-bit CPU (AMD FX-60).
>> >
>> > Only using 2GB of RAM, so that's not a factor.
>> >
>> > I know it's been asked before, but reviewing past posts I don't seem
>> > see any final conclusion.
>> >
>> > Normally I'd go with 64 bit, but I wonder of there are any reasons to
>> go
>> > 32 (Flash players, XBMC Boxee)?
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> My general recommendation is that for new installations 64bit is the
>> way to go.  Pretty much everything should be working pretty well at
>> this point.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you've got a 32-bit system running and just
>> replace the motherboard and CPU with a 64-bit capable processor, it's
>> not necessarily worth the hassle of reinstalling unless you have some
>> compelling reason to do so.
>
> This is a new build with hardware I have around. My primary reason for
> this
> is to get HD-PVR support from the 0.22 version. Other than that the older
> B/E (0.20) is doing everything I need it to do.
>
> I figure it's easier to build a new machine than to upgrade an existing
> one,
> and it won't require taking the old one out of service until the new one
> can
> take over.
>
> Then I plan to set up my newly-acquired Revo as another F/E, probably
> netboot it.
>
> In the past the 64-bit versions of the nVidia drivers tended to be
> problematical, but I hope that's behind us. I want the new B/E to also
> have a
> F/E in it, I have a GT-220 card to use for that, so I will have VDPAU on
> both
> F/Es (GT-220 and ION).

I've been running my backend on 64-bit ubuntu-server for quite a while
(it's also a frontend with an nvidia card - 190 drivers, I believe)
without any problems directly related to it being 64-bit (that I could
tell).  I don't think there'd be any real difference from 32-bit, other
than not having to reinstall linux if you ever upgrade the RAM in the
future.  Don't know if there are any 64-bit issues with the HD-PVR drivers
or whatever they need - I use a HDHR for OTA.  The main reason this
backend is 64-bit is it also hosts a few virtual machines under vmware,
and I needed the extra memory support.