[mythtv-users] Anybody running an HD-PVR on a VM?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 16 18:18:03 UTC 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 1:09 PM, Alan Young wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Since several of the virtualization solutions now support USB, I was wondering if anybody is successfully running an HD-PVR in a virtual machine.
>> I mean running a complete Myth backend, with an HD-PVR and an HDHR, under VMware or VirtualBox.
>
> I have been considering trying to schedule HD-PVR recordings in a VM with another operating system and application to see if those recordings work better.   I hadn't thought about running the entire backend in the VM.  I wasn't sure it would.  Or maybe it was just frontend that doesn't?  I need to go back and review the wiki again...  In any case, it's interesting prospect.   I'm not sure if VMware or Virtualbox would be better.

You can run both the frontend and the backend in a virtual machine. The frontend just won't perform very well for video playback in a virtual machine.

> As I understand it, Virtualbox is a paravirtualization solution and might be faster than VMware.

You understand wrong. There's very little difference between how the two do virtualization. Both support both full hardware virtualization and para-virt.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com