[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 23:23:14 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/12/17 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> Building a new backend, and trying to decide whether to go 32 or 64 bit.
> Obviously it's a 64-bit CPU (AMD FX-60).
>
> Only using 2GB of RAM, so that's not a factor.
>
> I know it's been asked before, but reviewing past posts I don't seem to see
> any final conclusion.
>
> Normally I'd go with 64 bit, but I wonder of there are any reasons to go 32
> (Flash players, XBMC Boxee)?
>
> Thoughts?

I run a 32 bits version on my frontend and 64 bits on my dedicated backend.

The reason is that some video codecs aren't available on 64 bits yet
(most of the windows media stuff).

Now you can use 32 bits libraries on a 64 bits machine, but it's a
pain to configure/install ; so to save the hassle I went to 32 bits on
my last install.

Jean-Yves