[mythtv-users] How to set up multiple tuners with different channels?

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 00:46:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>>

>> The rule is that every SOURCE contains ONLY the channels which the
>> tuner(s) attached to that source can tune.
>> Otherwise, myth will attempt to record some channel using a tuner which
>> cannot actually do it.
>>
>> In your case, you have a set of channels which can be recorded through the
>> HDHR and another set of channels which require the STB+HDPVR combo.
>>
>> You need TWO sources.
>>
>> If there are some channels which are actually available twice (that is,
>> available through either tuner setup) then you will have to treat those
>> particular channels as if they were completely different. Give them
>> different numbers (and treat them as if you could get the same network feed,
>> ABC or NBC for example, on 2 different channels.) Then YOU will have to
>> choose which channel to record a show on: you choose the tuner by choosing
>> the channel.
>>
>> And NO, your two sources CANNOT rely on the same Schedules Direct lineup.
>> What you really want is lineups which contain unique channel sets, without
>> overlap. As noted sometimes it cannot be set up that way.
>>
>> Geoff
>
> Thanks for the info. I finally got around to rebuilding my FE and today went
> into schedulesdirect.org, but it appears that there's a problem - I have two
> STB can tune, but I'm already using that lineup with my HDHR. I could point
> the HDHR to "Cable" but that doesn't have every channel the HDHR is picking
> up. Since you said that 2 sources can't rely on the same lineup, do I have
> any other options, short of paying for a second schedulesdirect.org
> membership?

Actually, I believe that this document:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.2 describes
exactly what you are needing...the same source, but with two different
channel subsets.  It definately worked for me when I had one analog
source and 2 digital sources coming into the same box (before Comcast
cut off the analog feed).

--
Doug