[mythtv-users] PCI, S-Video, VDPAU, SDTV, interlaced CRT: what card?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 17 05:25:47 UTC 2009

    > Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:18:44 +1300
    > From: Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>

    > There is quite a lot on alternative pinouts for s-video here:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video

Yeah, I looked there when I wrote my original post; it also had a
pointer to VIVO.  I think, though, that given that the fanless (but
PCI Express) Sparkle I have here came with a 4-pin-without-keying-tab
cable, that it's likely that other Sparkles use the connector similarly,
especially given sdkovacs's very encouraging message about the PCI
version.

P.S.  Speaking of GT220's (since someone mentioned it in this thread,
and also was having issues in another thread)---along with the PCIe
1G fanless Sparkle I mentioned earlier (bought on Black Friday for $5
more than the 512MB 'cause they were out of stock on 512), I also got
a PCIe GT220 when NewEgg had their $40-after-rebate sale on it (destined
for dev system since no tv-out).  But after trying it out, I think I'm
keeping the PCIe Sparkle and returning the GT220---its fan sounds like
a dentist's drill, even with the case closed.  (Granted, not a very
-loud- drill, but I'm sensitive to noise.)  And the GT220 didn't know
the screen geometry on my 800x600 test monitor (it defaulted to 640),
whereas the Sparkle did, both when booted from the same 9.10 LiveCD
and feeding a generic VGA LCD.

(A trivial point, presumably easily fixable, but indicative perhaps
of it needing slightly newer drivers---190 instead of 9.10's default
185?  Didn't bother making a proper Xorg file to find out, given that
I didn't like the noise.)  So if anyone else is thinking about a GT220
but is sensitive to noise, you might want to wait until the fanless
version comes out.  [Unless perhaps the nvidia special drivers also
control the fan speed and mine's running full-out because I didn't
install them in a non-LiveCD system and boot on them.  But then it
just implies that it'll be non-annoying until I'm actually trying to
use it to do VDPAU, which isn't much better.]

P.P.S.  Despite its fan, the GT220 is -still- thick enough that it
overhangs the immediately-adjacent PCI slot, so that's another
problem---if I'm going to lose a slot anyway, it might as well be a
silent card and not one with a fan.  Power consumption of both cards
appears to be about 40W max running glxgears, but again, I didn't
fully load the nvidia drivers because I was running from a LiveCD
and didn't feel like doing a full install on a random partition (or
side-effecting my existing install) while still doing preliminary
checkout of the cards, so I may not have been using most of the
silicon.  Both of them seem to idle at about 20W on a static screen.