[mythtv-users] Log says MythTV's recording; file sometimes written, sometimes not, sometimes partial

Klavs Klavsen kl at vsen.dk
Thu Dec 17 09:11:12 UTC 2009

Hi Zed,

I just wanted to comment that I have the same (or atleast a similar
problem) - and the log seems as if it's all allright, but I've found
that if you try fetching status using mythweb - it won't answer - and
timeout with an error in the end.

So it basicly crashes, without knowing it itself.

I've tried to report this here: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7647

But no one seems to have the same issue :(

Unfortunately my backend is running on a low-powered machine (1200mhz
arm with 512mb ram), so I'm working on setting up a secondary - to debug on.
But I have 2 small kids, which use mythtv heavily so I can't just down
the primary.

What you should do, is to make a backtrace:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace - this is what the developers need as
I understand it.

For now, I've written a script which I run in cron every 5 minutes,
which detects if the backend has gone down.
It also checks if it's currently recording (if a file has been written
to in my storage folder with in 3 minutes) and output from mythweb
status page.

It works like a charm for me. When it crashes during recording (happens
rather often) I get two entries for the same recording, as it restarts
the recording after it has been restarted :)

I can usually also make it crash, jumping around in the /tv/list on
mythweb on the backend.

Here's the script if it helps you:
http://vsen.dk/files/check_mythtv.sh

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - kl at vsen.dk - http://www.vsen.dk

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
  --Henry Spencer