[mythtv-users] remote frontend on a Mac

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 17 19:46:55 UTC 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:

>>> - The Mac OS X frontend does work.
>>
>> apparently not
>
> Well actually it DOES work for most people, and it certainly works quite nicely thank you for me. I don't tend to use it much, but I do occasionally watch tv on my laptop (MacBook Pro 1.8GHz) and standard def Uk Freeview seems to take only a moderate amount of processor power (about 60% of one core). Working on a smaller display would probably take less power - so feeding a regular TV with 1024x576 would be better.

The Mac OS X frontend is quite happy running on my MacBook Pro as well (17" 1920x1200 display, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, nVidia 9600M GT graphics), even for high definition mpeg2 recordings streamed over 802.11n. Haven't tried any 1080p h.264 stuff in mythfrontend, only in vlc, but that plays back just fine too.

On a related note, quicktime 1080p h.264 is *flawless* and played back with marginally more than zero cpu, since quicktime has vdpau-alike support for most of the same nVidia chipsets vdpau supports now. I don't know enough about mythtv+mac os x to know if it'd be possible to tap into that...

> Now if you are prepared to accept that the programmes being shipped do actually work for most people, then we might be able to discuss why they aren't working for you. But as long as you maintain the stance you are, then I'm afraid you aren't likely to get much sympathy. The ball is in your court on that one.

Yup, exactly.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com