[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Dec 17 20:10:54 UTC 2009

On Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 08:31:59PM +0100, belcampo wrote:

> Johnny wrote:
> >
> > Another benefit is that the compiler can make much more efficient
> > optimizations because x86-64 includes all the modern changes to the
> > x86 ISA (SSE etc) that modern chips support. When you use 32-bit it is
> > compiled against the ISA that an Intel 386 used or maybe a 686 (e.g.
> > Pentium II, Pentium III). But I think in everyday use you aren't
> > likely to feel much difference from this (approximately 5%
> > improvement). But in processes that are very computationally intense
> > and benefit from newer ISA changes like SSE, then you will see larger
> > improvements on the order of 10%-20%. Much of the MMX and SSE
> > extensions added op-codes for vector operations, etc, that are
> > targeting at multimedia stuff like transcoding. So that is one of the
> > areas that sees the most benefit.
> Are there any hard facts that prove these assumptions ?
> Transcoding 32 vs 64bit 512MB vs 2-8GB

There's some transcoding figures at:
http://hans.fugal.net/blog/2008/04/20/64-bit-transcoding/

Not transcoding, but there's some comparisons of other operations at:
http://tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu-904-32-bit-vs-64-bit-benchmarks

AMD have some a good general comparison at:
http://forums.amd.com/devblog/blogpost.cfm?threadid=93648&catid=317

Cheers,
    Robin
--