[mythtv-users] digital sound in parallel to receiver and TV

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:11:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Bert Haverkamp <bert at bertenselena.net>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm having difficultly setting up audio out to my liking. I'm mailing
> here in the hopes that someone has figured this out:
> I'd like to setup similtaneous sound to :
> 1) my TV via hdmi
> 2) my receiver via spdiff
> I want both the TV and the receiver to output the sound and chose
> between the two depending on my needs. (my wife doesn't bother turning
> on the receiver and listens only via the TV mostly.)
>
> However, my TV doesn't handle Dolby, AC3, but my receiver can.
> If I use passthrough the TV outputs horrible noise.
> If I dissable passthrough I miss the ability to listen to 5.1 in films.
>
> I would like to be able to send stereo via hdmi and simultaneously
> passthrough via spdiff.
>
> I've been playing with asound.conf. I can send stereo to both in
> parallel, but for 5.1 is still the issue.
> Does anyone have a solution here?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bert

I find it difficult to believe that your TV cannot decode the digital signal
that comes off the TV signal.  Even if the TV cannot play 5.1, it should be
able to pull the stereo out of the 5.1 digital stream.  It is, afterall,
doing just that when you listen to an OTA station.

What I do is send spdif streams to both my surround system (4.1) and to a
decoder feeding stereo to the TV.

However, I suspect you will have difficulty getting both HDMI audio and
spdif out of the myth box.  But I would bet you can get two spdif outputs
and that your TV can take one of them and your surround system the other.
 All Asus MBs have internal spdif outputs that only require a simple passive
converter, for example.

That said, I wrote down everything else I know about it here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto

Please let me  know what you find out and if there is anything else I can do
to help.

<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto>Allen