[mythtv-users] How to play audio CDs?

leo weppelman leoweppelman at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:41:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

>> Try: mplayer -quiet cdda://:2 -cache 5000
>>
>> The ':2' keeps the drive speed low, the '-cache 5000' surpresses the
>> pauses (at least for me).
>
> And how does that allow me to play CDs in MythMusic?

Ah, sorry. Well, I have added an extra menu to the top-leven menu
that has an 'play audio cd' option.  I also have a 'play dvd-xine' and
a 'play dvd-mplayer' there in case the internal player fails. This
escape route greatly increases things like WAF and besides, sometimes
I just want to watch or listen and not debug something.

I have been staring at code for cdda playing, but I haven't yet found
a way to add the buffering there....

There was also someone who mentioned:
    hdparm -a 2048/ //dev//path/to/your/cd-drive/

as a possible solution. I haven't tried that yet. But you could handle
such a command in the startup script.

Leo.