[mythtv-users] Unstable 0.22 mythbackend with two DVB-S2 cards

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Fri Dec 18 11:43:56 UTC 2009

Hi.

I have a MythTV box that I have been running trunk on for nearly one year with one Hauppauge HVR-4000 using the DVB-S/DVB-S2 part of it. The backend has in general been very stable in this period.

I am running OpenSUSE 11.2 and a  few weeks ago I installed the 0.22 packages from Packman and the backend has been very stable after this also.

The problem started last Saturday when I installed one more HVR-4000 in this box. As long as the frontend is in active use playing recordings etc. it looks like everything is working.
But if I leave the frontend on the main menu for a few hours the backend stops recording and when trying to do anything in the frontend nithing much happens and after a while I get the popup saying the backend is not running. The same thing happens if I exit the frontend and starts it up again later.

There is no information in the backend log. All activity just seems to stop.
On a few occations I have noticed very frequent activity on the system/MySQL disk. I checked the backend log once when this was happening and then I saw lost and lots of error messages from the EIT scanner saying it was not able to access the database. However at that same time mysql-querybrowser and mysql-administrator could access the database fine.

If I check with ps or /etc/init.d/mythbackend status both shows that the mythbackend process is running.

If I remove one of the cards from mythtv-setup everything is stable again.

The only workaround I have found that, well seems to work, is to set up a crontab job that restarts mythbackend every hour.

Has anyone seen this or know how to find the reason for this?

I am guessing tha mythbackend somehow looses contact with MySQL, so perhaps start it with -v database is one way to start?

Jens