[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Dec 19 01:39:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:57:22PM +0000, Andre Newman wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2009, at 22:21, Alan Marchiori wrote:
>
> >> might do I can't say. I've heard the cards can do noise reduction
> >> under windows, so that's one example (though not one I particularly
> >> care about).
> >
> > what about transcoding or commflagging using vdpau?  anyone working on
> > this/already implemented?
>
> Faster than real time decoding would be seriously useful then, I guess the whole process would have to be on GPU otherwise pulling decoded frames across the bus would lose any speed advantage gained.

...the thing about background jobs is that you don't have to do them on the
frontend. So you don't even need to do them on a box that has one of your
vdpau cards. None of my jobs run on vdpau machines. They run on my backends
and my main desktop.

   That way, I already get faster-than-realtime decoding even without vdpau.

[deletia]