[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Sat Dec 19 02:22:34 UTC 2009

>> > what about transcoding or commflagging using vdpau?  anyone working on
>> > this/already implemented?
>>
>> Faster than real time decoding would be seriously useful then, I guess the whole process would have to be on GPU otherwise pulling decoded frames across the bus would lose any speed advantage gained.
>
> ...the thing about background jobs is that you don't have to do them on the
> frontend. So you don't even need to do them on a box that has one of your
> vdpau cards. None of my jobs run on vdpau machines. They run on my backends
> and my main desktop.
>
>   That way, I already get faster-than-realtime decoding even without vdpau.

this is admittedly pretty far off.  but if "commflaging" could be done
very efficiently in hardware you could just delay it until playback.
it would run and if a comm. is detected seek ahead at like 200x or
however fast it can process the frames until it hits the end of the
commercial.  Then the backend doesn't have to commflag at all.