[mythtv-users] MythTV Sidebar App

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Sat Dec 19 10:50:17 UTC 2009

On 18/12/2009 22:30, Mitch Gore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that I have Windows 7 on my PC i wanted to try the MythTV sidbar
> app: http://mythtvsidebargadget.codeplex.com
>
> It needs to connect to the backend on 6544.  So this works from the
> web is it ok to open that port to the internet?

I think (and someone might correct me) that all you will be exposing by
doing so is a readonly interface which allows people to see information
about what you've recorded / will be recording.

Enter the address into your webbrowser (eg http://mymythbox:6544) to see
the kind of information that is available.  (The gadget actually uses
http://mymythbox:6544/xml which is basically the same info but in xml
format so easier to read programatically)

A more secure approach would be to setup ssh + port forwarding, but
whether this is necessary is up to you...

Robert.