[mythtv-users] WARNING: SchedulesDirect users: server currently returning bogus results

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sun Dec 20 05:14:18 UTC 2009

    > Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:21:12 -0600
    > From: Robert Eden <rmeden at yahoo.com>

    > re: the subject...
    > I don't think we (SD) returned bogus results... we returned an error
    > message and a bad status code.

Do you mean the "Fault" stuff at the end of the 78K of downloaded XML?
My first (automatic) fetch in the morning got no data at all; my
second fetch (this afternoon) got a 78K of data plus that Fault XML
indication at the end, with no other error message I can see in the
data except those last few lines I quoted in my original message.
It was that truncated-near-the-beginning XML which I was calling
"bogus", since it was valid to start with and then blew up.

I don't know if the second tv_grab returned a bad status code because
I ran it & the mfdb by hand instead of using my script, and tv_grab's
status code would have been thrown away in that case.  [I note that
none of the manpages for any version of tv_grab_na_dd I've managed
to find mention anything about it returning any status at all; I
haven't checked the code to see if it returns anything other than 0
or 1.  Probably something its maintainer should document.]  I also
don't know if it would notice any XML problems if it was being run
in --download-only, which is what I do---e.g., in that mode, does
it parse the data and find unclosed elements/Fault stuff, or does
it just write it to a file and hope somebody will deal with it
later?  Haven't checked yet.

    > 				    I guess MythTV ignores that and erases
    > the DB.  Sounds like a bug to me.   I know tv_grab_na_dd detected the
    > problem and exited with a non-zero exit status.

"Normal" myth may do the right thing in that case, assuming that it
notices unclosed elements and/or grab's exit status and assuming that
the grabber actually noticed the error.  I haven't checked & wanted to
at least get word out before a wiped schedule could screw other
people.

Re the TMS outage:  Gosh.  Hopefully they won't have one like that again. :)

Thanks!  (And thanks for the explanation about what's going on with
the warnings on the SD sites.)