[mythtv-users] new user and system: simultaneous HD/SD out?

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Sun Dec 20 17:31:08 UTC 2009

All,

Hi!  I'm glad I found this mailing list.  I've been doing a lot of
research over the past few weeks into building my first MythTV system
(to coincide with my first HDTV purchase, hopefully within a few
months).  I have a bunch of questions, but so far only one that I
haven't been able to make any research headway on:

I currently have a proprietary SD DVR with multiple outs.  I really like
this feature, and mainly use it to hook up my (SD) Slingbox so an
out-of-town friend of mine can watch what I'm watching, and so I can
watch TV away from home.  I'd like to be able to keep this setup under Myth.

I'm probably going to build my system, combined frontend/backend, based
on this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500019 (Zotac,
not ION, integrated GeForce 9300).  Can you think of any way I can get
simultaneous HD and SD out from this box?  (Preferably the same
picture/video on both, but running a separate frontend instance on the
same box may also be acceptable, if that's possible and the only way.)

The two ideas I've come up with so far are buying a VGA-to-composite
scan converter (though I'm not sure if this board can do HDMI/DVI out
and VGA out at the same time), or buying a separate S-video/composite
out PCI card (though I'm not sure whether linux can natively support
showing the same thing on both devices at the same time, and if it
can't, whether there's any way Myth can do that without the operating
system's help).  Does anyone have any input on my chances of success
with either of these methods?

(I'm aware of MythStreamTV; I don't think I'd like it enough to want to
replace my Slingbox with it.)

Thanks in advance for the help!  I'm really glad I've found this list,
and I suspect this won't be the last you'll hear from me.

Josh