[mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Andrew Stevens wackston at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:41:29 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

> I personally think that the extra code and settings to allow users to
> specify "this is an underpowered system that can't play back some types
> of video" is not worth the cost of time to implement, test, and
> maintain.  IMHO, any MythTV user should get frontends capable of playing
> the content they have.

I *think* the issue the original poster was *primarily* concerned with
is primarily tuner selection in the B/E not F/E-lameness sensitivity.

I would (semi) aggree with your sentiments in the ATSC world. However,
for the DVB-S/DVB-S2 platform its a serious issue.  Its not the TV
stream (there's significant HD content on DVB-S transponders) its the
receiver capability.  You don't want to select a DVB-S2 tuner for a
DVB-S source unless no DVB-S tuner is free. For the foreseeable future
the bulk of channels will remain DVB-S and DVB-S2 receivers are still
*far* from 'inexpensive' (roughly $100 per tuner).  This making
upgrading to an all-S2 configuration ridiculously wasteful.   As DVB-T2
comes online the terrestrial folks are going to hit similar niggles too.

cheers,
  Andrew