[mythtv-users] U-verse questions

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:57:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:04 AM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I currently have comcast, which I'm recording clear QAM with an HDHR and
> SD
> > from two digital boxes via PVR-250s.
> >
> > The U-verse folks came around the other day to tell me it's now available
> in
> > the area.  So ... how well can I get this to work with MythTV?
>
> This is being discussed here...
>

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/413508?search_string=verizon%20fios;#413508

Well, that's talking about verizon FIOS rather than AT&T u-verse, I don't
know how much of that applies to both.  There is some talk of firewire
channel changing there for example, does the u-verse box support that?  I'd
rather not use an IR blaster if I can help it ... especially as I might have
two boxes setup next to each other.

There's also talk of using the HDHR  and clear QAM with the FIOS service,
I'd very much like to know if that's possible with u-verse and also if the
multiplexs are likely to be useful (i.e. different networks on the same
multiplex).

There's also the question of how best to handle the installer.  At present
my backend is in the basement with the cable boxes, the comcast cable modem,
wireless router and HDHR are in the second bedroom, and the TV with a
frontend is in the livingroom.  Note there is no television in the basement,
but I do have a small portable SD TV I can take down there for setup
purposes.  Should I just have the installer set everything up on the TV and
move stuff myself later, or send him to the basement and set it up there?
What kind of input does the STB need?  Co-ax?  Ethernet?