[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:27:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> On Mon, December 21, 2009 10:53 am, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> We've got more than enough people out there willing to offer critiques
>> about what can be improved, and very few willing to actually help out
>> by doing something about it.
>
> This pretty much goes back to Bill's original comment, isn't it?  That
> everyone who uses MythTV is expected to have programming expertise?  The
> message you seem to be conveying is, "if you don't want to muck around in
> the source code, don't bother."

I think the message he's trying to convey is "If you don't want
to/can't muck around in the source code, you will have to make do with
what you get, because we're all human beings doing this in our spare
time, for free, and doing our best while still trying to pay the
mortgage."

In short, we are well aware of where myth could be better, and the
onslaught of complaints about it serve no purpose other than to
frustrate/hurt feelings/make people feel as though what work they
*can* get done is being derided.  The fact remains, myth is *not* a
consumer product, and everyone involved is doing it *for fun*.  There
occasionally seems to be a mistaken impression on the part of (some)
users that myth is intended as a "product."  Myth is (IMHO) a
"project," and not one driven by marketshare, user uptake, hardware
partnerships, etc.  When it ceases to be fun, work slows or stops-- so
if one cannot contribute, the best thing they can do is at least to to
maintain a fun environment so that working on Myth isn't a chore.
More flies with honey and all that.

Robert