[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 21 22:18:33 UTC 2009

On 12/21/2009 04:11 PM, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>
>> Do you use SchedulesDirect for listings?  If so, why did you decide to
>> pick "-" rather then the
>> more (to me) obvious "." as the channel seperator?  Should this be
>> documented by MythTV
>> or by SchedulesDirect?
> Yes, I do use SD for listings. I don't recall ever changing the channel
> separator, I probably just used the default. Everything mapped properly for
> me, I haven't had to mess with XMLIDs or the like at all.

Agreed.  As you said, different broadcasters/re-broadcasters = different
data in the streams.  Some data match better with SD's data than others.

Result:  automated matching of MythTV channels to listings channels may
work better for some than others.

Fact:  matching of MythTV channels to listings channels *always* works
perfectly if you explicitly specify how they're matched (using xmltvid,
as at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV_ID ).

Conclusion:  you can either take your chances that mythfilldatabase will
be able to match up channels perfectly without any user intervention, or
you can just ensure it's done properly by editing xmltvid's.

Mike