[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 21 22:23:08 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009 03:11:35 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/21/2009 02:16 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > On Mon, December 21, 2009 10:53 am, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> >> We've got more than enough people out there willing to offer critiques
> >> about what can be improved, and very few willing to actually help out
> >> by doing something about it.
> >
> > This pretty much goes back to Bill's original comment, isn't it?  That
> > everyone who uses MythTV is expected to have programming
expertise?  The
> > message you seem to be conveying is, "if you don't want to muck
around in
> > the source code, don't bother."
>
> Who here was born with programming expertise?  I, for one, wasn't.

Really? I'm shocked.

I don't think anyone expects all Myth users to be programmers, but that
doesn't mean that everyone can't contribute. Many very useful WiKi entries
were submitted by non-programmers who understand how to use Myth and
can write well. Many features can be tested, and folks using particular
hardware setups can report their experiences. Users in less-populous
countries can certainly help their countrymen with issues specific to that
country, which the devs are unable to test.

And there's nothing wrong, IMHO, with a well thought out feature request, as
long as it's reasonable and presented in a non-complaining way, with the
understanding that it may not receive a high priority, and may be ignored
completely.

As another example, I think it's well-known that most of the devs do not use
live TV, yet suggestions in that area seem to be well taken.

If you are unsatisfied with the product, I'm sure the Myth devs would happily
refund every penny you paid for MythTV.