[mythtv-users] MythTV vs Tivo (Australia)

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 22 03:25:51 UTC 2009

>Thanks guys
>
>I took this info and rang Dad with my spiel and have semi convinced him to
>go with Myth. The tip over point was his need to record channel 7 & 9 at the
>same time.
>
>So now my job is to research tuners and come up with the best solution. His
>job is to put a digital antenna on the roof. I found a couple of dual tuners
>at digitalnow.com.au, one USB and the other PCI as my starting point. I'll
>check out a few others too (when I find them)
>
>Cheers
>Bruce

Many people have reported issues with USB dual tuners (most likely a heat
issue).. If you are on the shepherd mailing list you may have seen this.

I personally recommend the DVICO fusion dual express (PCIe not PCI). (about
$170.00 AUD but rock solid).. Only thing I found is it doesn't like cheap
cables.. Dick Smith has some good heavily shielded ones.